I decided to turn this post into a page. This way it will be easy to find when I make my wife mad and need to diffuse any anger that may be directed toward me.
(From August 17, 2008)
I love my wife. We’ve been married for 26 years and it appears (at least to me) that she still loves me. Since we just celebrated our 26th anniversary, I thought I would offer 26 reasons why I love my wife (in no particular order):
- She loves me.
- She lets me love her.
- She is funny (important to me).
- She thinks I’m funny (well… I tend to repeat jokes and stories, so she may not think as much of the material).
- She is very bright (math is a strength for her, not so much for me).
- She is very organized.
- She drives the car when we go around town (a very big deal, since I drive two-and-a-half hours each day for work).
- She actually likes to mow the lawn (she considers it an opportunity to exercise).
- She loves to read (she probably reads more than I do).
- She likes to do the Jumble in the paper everyday.
- She is still a stunner (no one else has ever gotten my attention like she has).
- She takes good care of herself, but is not self-absorbed about her looks.
- She is detail oriented (I’m a big picture person, so we complement each other’s strengths).
- She is a great friend (I don’t have all that many).
- She is patient (important when dealing with me).
- She is a great cook (as evidenced by my middle-age girth).
- She is very independent (as am I, so we are good at leaving each other alone, when necessary).
- She doesn’t like me to bring her flowers (she sees it as a waste of money).
- She is the same about cards for special occasions (for years we have gone to a card store, looked at them, picked one out, showed it to the other person, then said something like ”If I were going to buy a card – this is the one I would have bought you”).
- She doesn’t mind it if I occasionally buy her expensive jewelry.
- She is thrifty, but not cheap (except the time she bought this generic Peptic Bismuth stuff - ouch!).
- She doesn’t seem to mind when I bring up the Peptic Bismuth stuff.
- She likes the same kind of movies that I do.
- She is compassionate towards those less fortunate than we are.
- She is a great mom to our kids.
- She actually loves me (I know, I used it to start, but it still surprises me).
Below is one of my favorite photos – from my doctoral graduation in 2007. She is obviously standing on a bench since she is 5’2″ and I am 6’7″ tall.