I don’t watch much TV – although there is one in my home office that my kids (particularly my son) like to watch (He is watching a movie right now). With that in mind, I (almost) struggled to come up with five current TV shows that I like to watch.
- Eli Stone – A wonderful show. Eli is a corporate lawyer with a brain tumor. The tumor causes visions (he believes from God) about what cases he needs to take, generally as the little guy going against his own corporate law firm. Each episode also offers a song (often by George Michael) to help guide Eli to the case. It’s funny, serious, weird, and enchanting all at once. You would never guess from watching the show that Jonny Lee Miller (Eli) is British. James Saito is also great in this series. Set in San Francisco. Tuesdays on ABC.
- Monk – Wonderful, strange, engaging, annoying, brilliant, Monk is an OCD detective without a badge or a job. He spends his time searching for his wife’s killer and helping the San Francisco police solve crimes. Tony Shalub is perfect for the part. Fridays on USA Network. The website is also fun.
- Pushing Daisies – A touch can bring someone back to life, but a second touch will kill them (with no opportunity to ever come back to life again). Lee Pace (Ned) is wonderful in the lead and has a dog and a girlfriend (sort of) that have both been brought back from the dead by Ned – so he can’t touch them again. Chi McBride (Emerson Cod) is great as a detective who needs Ned’s help. Also, how can you go wrong with a diner called The Pie Hole? Set in Coeur d’ Coeurs (wherever that might be). Wednesdays on ABC.
- The Amazing Race – (Ugly) Americans romp through the world, creating chaos, havoc, and dissonance everywhere they go. Captivating TV that makes me proud to be an American (ok, just a touch of sarcasm). Sundays on CBS.
- Spongebob Squarepants – Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? You guessed it – Spongebob Squarepants. My son and I watch together. One of my guilty pleasures. Daily on Nickelodeon.