It seemed like a good time to take a look at a book list and this caught my eye: “The best utopia, dystopia, and other world fiction…” It is a list of the top 100 books in this category (as chosen by readers/contributors) and it’s found on Goodreads.
I haven’t thought of myself as a fan of utopian, dystopian, or other world fiction, yet I found that I have read nearly everything on the top ten and many of the top 100 on this list.
Goodreads also offers an opportunity to contribute to this list. Some books have not been rated by very many people, so you have a chance to move your favorite book up the scale (Atwood and Orwell each have two in the top ten). Here is the current top ten list (subject to change if you vote) (click here for the top 100):
- 1984 by George Orwell
- The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood
- Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- A Wrinkle In Time by Madeline L’Engle
- Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein
- The Road by Cormac McCarthy
- Animal Farm by George Orwell