Chocolate! Enough said…almost. I’m not a huge fan of regular (if there is such a thing) chocolate, but I do like dark chocolate. I happened across a post that describes “10 facts about chocolate” (found at Info Barrel). I’ve listed their ten facts and found at least a couple of facts somewhat surprising. I’ve also added some commentary for no apparent reason:
- It is a known fact that chocolate has caffeine in it. But did you know that you would have to eat more then a dozen chocolate bars to get the same amount of caffeine from a cup of coffee? There are about 5 to 10 mg’s of caffeine in one ounce of bitter chocolate, 5 mgs in milk chocolate, and 10mgs in a six-ounce cup of cocoa. So, when a police officer eats a chocolate donut while drinking coffee, will the total caffeine content have any effect on her/his aim if they find it necessary to shoot at someone? This might make an interesting study (if it hasn’t already been done).
- Chocolate is actually a valuable energy source. A single chocolate chip can provide enough energy for an adult human to walk 150 ft. I might walk 150 feet for a chocolate chip cookie. It’s good to know I would have the energy to return to the sofa.
- Chocolate has great health benefits. It helps with depression, high blood pressure, Tumors and Pre-menstrual syndromes. Helps how? Does it enhance or diminish these conditions? I’m hiding the chocolate in our home if it enhances PMS.
- Chocolate does not cause or aggravate acne, this is a myth. This information is about 30 years late to be of any benefit to me (thanks, mom).
- One ounce of baking chocolate or cocoa contains 10% of the daily recommended intake of iron. Which is why one should consume at least 10 ounces per day – 11 should be even better.
- Chocolate can be deadly for dogs. Chocolate contains an ingredient called “Theobromine” which can be toxic to a dogs central nervous system and cardiac muscles. And for female dogs it enhances PMS.
- People spend more than $7 billion dollars a year on chocolate. If the people of the world will set aside their chocolate consumption for only 100 years, together we can bail out the American economic system and set the world right again. Of course, we would run the risk of becoming depressed, pre-menstrual individuals who suffer from high blood pressure and tumors – Hey! That sounds like today’s Wallstreet.
- The per capita consumption of chocolate indicates that each person consumes 12 pounds of chocolate each year. Chocolate must also inhibit weight gain, because my weight doesn’t increase by 12 pounds per year… it’s more like 8 or maybe 10…
- Milk Chocolate is the most preferred type of chocolate, however dark chocolate is especially popular among men. It’s good to know I hang with the “in” crowd. I love dark chocolate – I must just ooze testosterone.
- In Alfred Hitchcock’s movie “Psycho” chocolate syrup was used to indicate blood in the famous shower scene. I had heard this. Apparently chocolate films better (as blood) in black and white than anything else Hitchcock tried… plus he was able to use the leftover chocolate on his ice cream (ok, I made up the part about Hitchcock’s ice cream).